1 (used of solutions) having the same or equal osmotic pressure [syn: isosmotic] [ant: hypertonic, hypotonic]
2 relating to or characterized by the equal intervals of the well-tempered scale; "isotonic tuning"
3 of or involving muscular contraction in which tension is constant while length changes [ant: isometric]
4 of two or more muscles; having equal tension
- In the context of "of two solutions": having the same osmotic pressure
- In the context of "of a medical solution": Having the same
solutes as human blood.
- Use an isotonic saline solution in your neti pot to prevent irritation of your nasal passages.
- In the context of "of two muscles": having equal tension
The term isotonic may refer to;
- Isotonic muscle exercise and Weight training
- Isotonic (exercise physiology) for the term associated with muscle contraction
- An isotone in nuclear physics
- Isotonic solutions, solutions that have equal osmotic pressure, such as the isotonic environment in cell biology
isotonic in German: Isoton
isotonic in Low German: Isoton